Sonntag, 3. August 2014

Tulsa, Oklahoma - Where the heck is that anyway?

Hello erverybody! :) 

Time is flying and a lot has happened during the last  two weeks. Last week TU actually discovered that my partner in crime Ann-Kathrin (she is the other girl coming to TU for student teaching) and I won't be able/ allowed to participate in the student teacher course because we didn't take the courses needed to participate at TU. We were rather upset since it was only three weeks until we fly out and everything was ready and done. They proposed for us to come to Tulsa as interns at the University School which would have been a very fine solution except that we already prepared everything (visa, flight, immunizations etc.) to be students at TU. Long story short: We will be full-time students at TU and also volunteer at the University School. :) Best of both worlds! 


Now there are only two weeks left and I still don't really know so much about where I'm going! So I figured I'll educate myself about where I'm going and share it with you. As we already know I'm flying to Tulsa, Oklahoma in the United States of America. I made a screenshot of google maps to give you an idea where it is located in the US. 




Tulsa is the second largest city in Oklahoma with almost 400,000 inhabitants (they are called Tulsans) and the county seat of Tulsa County. According to Tulsa's website "the name Tulsa was derived from "tallasi," a contraction of the Creek "Tullahassee" or "tallahassee," meaning "old town". When reading about Tulsa and Oklahoma it becomes quiet clear that that state and region is very conected to the native americans.

The weather in Tulsa is temperate with an average of 61 °F (16 °C). In spring and early summer though there usually are many thunderstorms, hail and even tornadoes are possible. The pre-arrival guide provided by TU even explains how to behave in case of a tornado. Luckily I'll only be there until winter. ;) However, Tulsa has over 250 sunny days per year! 

Thanks to Ms Semenow from TU who opened a Facebook group for all incoming international students this year I already was able to take a look what places are worth seeing and what food is great in Tulsa. Check out these two links she posted in the group: Tulsa things to do and Tulsa's 11 most iconic foods
I sure need to try that burger! It looks delicious. :) I'm not so sure though that I would be able to eat it completly or if I might die from a heart attack trying.

I hope you now have a little bit of an idea where I'm going. Personally I'm super excited to make my own experience’s there and report about it and take a lot of pictures to make my posts livelier. I like to use my own pictures for this blog since it is supposed to be rather personal and also I don't want to step on anybody’s toes for using their pictures on my blog (gotta be careful with copyright there!).

Thank you for reading!
Jenny Sch.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen